Skip to content
cross posted from Demos
In order to return employment to pre-recession levels and restore consumer demand, millions of additional jobs must be created. At the pace of current job creation, it would take many years to reach full employment. This report makes the case that we should create jobs for the unemployed directly and immediately in public employment programs that produce useful goods and services for the public’s benefit. The public sector can directly create jobs quickly, serve vital community needs and target those hurt most in this economy. Projects would generally be undertaken by the federal government and agencies in partnership with local governments and should be guaranteed reasonable pay and benefits.
- A direct public jobs program is cost effective. $100 billion spent to directly hire American workers would create 2.6 million fulltime jobs over two years, compared to just 136,000 jobs for $100 billion in tax cuts or 714,000 jobs for $100 billion in benefit increases.
- A direct public job program puts Americans back to work now. Public jobs have “time value” because they are jobs created immediately. Tax cuts, benefits payments and other indirect stimulus approaches do not start “working” on job creation immediately.
- A direct public jobs program is targeted to those who need jobs most. The undeserved pain of this economic crisis has not been felt evenly. A public jobs program is designed to target job-seekers, reducing inequality and blunting the most extreme suffering.
- A direct public jobs program meets vital national and community needs.Putting Americans directly to work and in areas such as health care, child care, education, recreation, elder care, and cultural enrichment could expand and improve the quality of these vital public services. Work upgrading our physical infrastructure is also needed.
- Direct job creation is affordable. Repealing the Bush tax cuts would provide enough revenue to fund the creation of 8.2 million jobs.
Brandon McManus capped off an engaging first half by hitting a 52 yard field goal as the Broncos took a 17 9 lead over the Patriots into the third quarter of the AFC championship game . They're better known for their hit "Best Day of playing, Which the Broncos and Patriots hope applies to them at the conclusion of the afternoon. a vacation to the Super Bowl is on the line.
The star in mafia wars so far has been Denver's top ranked defense, made up of intercepted Tom Brady twice and sacked him two more times. Peyton Manning is 10 of 20 for 128 gardens and two TDs.
Denver has the ball to start the other half.
now you have an unusual sight: Tom Brady bloodied and position himself up off the turf. The top ranked defense of the denver broncos is applying plenty of pressure in the AFC championship game.
at this point, Brady has thrown backwards two interceptions something he hasn't done since Dec. 6 and lately been sacked twice. He's also taken a few other big hits.
Brady, Who has a scrape just below his elbow , Has been off target all afternoon. He's 9 for 20 for 87 meters.
there's not any question who Peyton Manning's favorite target is Sunday Owen Daniels, Who caught his second touchdown pass to give the Broncos a 14 6 lead in the AFC world-class game.
Manning floated a 12 yard pass to Daniels in the corner of the end zone early in the second quarter. Daniels caught a 21 yard TD pass with first quarter.
you verify was set up by linebacker Von Miller's interception of Tom Brady. termed as a fierce pass rusher, Miller fooled Brady by the loss of into coverage.
Manning came into the game with only one TD pass at home. He now has three.
Steven fitzgibbons scored from a yard out, But reliable kicker Stephen Gostkowski missed the extra point and the Broncos held a 7 6 in the AFC champion game after the first quarter. jackson scored with 1:49 left in the period.
Gostkowski didn't miss a surplus point all season. His PAT consider was wide right.
New England got the ball in great field position after winning hard. On the play that your, Peyton Manning threw a swing pass to Ronnie Hillman that was ruled rudimentary, With linebacker Jonathan Freeny obtaining the bouncing football .
But the Patriots questioned and the call was overturned, going for the ball on the Denver 22.
It wasn't in the forecast for tight end Owen Daniels to score before Rob Gronkowski in the AFC tournament game. But there seemed to be Daniels, A in their free time meteorologist, Wide open for a 21 yard TD catch to give the Broncos a 7 0 lead over the Patriots midway along with first quarter.
Peyton Manning took good thing about a blown assignment by the Patriots to find Daniels, Who waltzed into the end zone.
Manning had a nifty move beginning in the drive, When he escaped outer on a bootleg play. He looked more like a 29 year old than a 39 year old who's been in front of foot injuries .